Saturday, February 20, 2010

ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY ~ Propagate

When I think of Propagate I have only to look around my studio and see the endless sketches, drawings, printouts and paintings that share my workspace. I say "share" because when I create a character it becomes a part of my studio family. I have to printout all the pages to see if they are working. More than that , however, I need to keep that family near me while I work. The components of the current book adorn the many bulletin boards in my studio. They are also a form of propagation as I have to keep adding more to extend the surfaces for display.

Having finished a book with many characters I sent it off to the publisher like a mom sending a child off to the first day of school. With the files sent off I cleared the bulletin boards. Seeing them empty will not do, so now they are once again in propagation mode for the current project.
Since I cannot, for copyright reasons share that photo, I will post one small image from the book, that shows the propagation of a crowd drawn into a park by the sweet sounds of a little boy playing his harmonica. And I realize it is very small, but consider this, it is one of 30 printouts that hung in my studio as I worked to create this family of friends.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Wow Ginger you are so prolific! This is such an involved piece, there's so much to see! Our drawings are indeed like our children - after all, we had a hand in creating both! Best of luck with the book, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Sarah Ackerley said...

I love the energy of this piece! Congrats on the book. I look forward to seeing the work from the book on your blog when you can post it :)

Dayle's Painted Diary-Dayle Dodwell said...

Me too. Love the colours and energy and look forward to seeing the book too. The image is a bit blurry here probably the scan not the work. I love your work.

ArtQwerks said...

Great take on this week's IF Ginger! How true!!!!

valerie walsh said...

helloooo sweet friend :) this is so beautiful and you capture people, especially children so well :D

NANCY LEFKO said...

Congratulations on the book project and enjoy your journey on the next!!

Paige Keiser said...

WOW! This is just amazing, Ginger! Impressive draftsmanship! This kind of has the feeling of Patricia Polacco:

http://www.patriciapolacco.com/books/index.html

Andrew Finnie said...

Well looks like a lot of propagation of words coming from the characters in this work. Nice flow in the composition.

Did you use a digital camera for this reproduction?
If not please ignore the following :) :)

If so in a low light situation try to take pics on motor drive. You'll find that it's the squeezing of the camera button that will give camera movement, and the third or fourth pic will be pretty clean.

It's great for taking pics in galleries that let you. cheers

Roberta said...

Such detail.... I can't wait to see/hear more about the book!

theartofpuro said...

Ginger is amazing!I'll wait to know more about the book!:)