Saturday, February 27, 2010

The HEAD count


I have been working on illustrations for some books for Stemmer House Publishers in NH and for 4RV Publishers in OK.
For each assignment I had to create a number of characters of all ages. I used some reference material from my professional library and went back into my files to find "models" of children I had in standing poses just to check the "head count."
What I found was interesting. Although the reference material I used suggested a slightly larger or taller individual I think I came close enough with my style to create a chart that I can use for reference.

Of course all this changes when you have a model running, jumping, sleeping, eating, sitting, skiing, chasing, swimming, but it is still a good thing for me personally to have as a handy reference. I printed this and laminated it and keep it on my bulletin board.

I still use real people as models whenever I can, but sometimes it isn't that easy to find a model willing to sit in the lap of a huge brown bear or stand on one foot for an hour or so. *:)

8 comments:

theartofpuro said...

You did a wonderful work!

thedoodlegirl said...

oooh, I just love this! Wonderful work!

Unknown said...

What an excellent idea, Ginny. You've created your own visual reference for children's sizes.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This is so wonderfully illustrated. I think each child is special and works for the different heights as well. Job well done Ginger. I love the 9-12. Wonderful!!

Lindsey said...

What a great chart! I never thought of making my own with my own style! That's something to think about. And I love yours...they look pretty accurate!

Susan said...

Wonderful idea Ginger, what a fantastic reference! I always count heads whenever I do kids, but never had a handy-dandy chart, this is great, I'm going to borrow you're idea, hope you don't mind!

Andrew Finnie said...

Thanks for sharing this. Your in-sight is very 'insightful'!

Di said...

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing this wonderful reference! Now I just have to do my own version but I'm tacking your's to my bulletin board for now.