Monday, December 28, 2009

Dummy up...

I have considered several styles of dummy for presenting to publishers. In the past I have done the labor intensive stitched kind, with heavy board covers and also the double stick adhesive type as well as accordion folds and taped together versions. For the book I am working on right now I used a new system that suited the style very well. Since I am able to hand deliver this one, it won't matter that it is a bit heavy. I took an older sketch book with hard board covers and used it as a base. Then I glued each page into the book on the empty pages. I had just enough leftover sheets in the sketch book to accommodate the dummy.

Although this wouldn't be the best choice for one that I mailed on spec, it is a great way to showcase the sketches for this particular project. I was even able to slip a DVD with the PDF for the sketches into the book. The images are blurred for privacy of the publisher, but you get the idea. I liked the way the presentation turned out.




Because I have a nice new wide body printer I can actually print out the spreads up to 13 x 19 inches. I can make a dummy with those as well as this kind where I have to cut the pages apart to put them in order. Maybe variety is what I like when it comes to dummies. *:)

Do you have a favorite way of creating a dummy?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ginger - I'm in the middle of making some dummy books for the Bologna fair next March. Originally I thought it might be too expensive to print from a PDF - but shopping around I've found a printers who charge just a few pounds (about $8) for a very professional print from PDF.

Shirley said...

Ginger! What a great post. I have not yet created a dummy so this is great information. Thank you for posting about it and how it seems to do the trick for your needs. I wish you the best as you present it to your client. And, I think the PDF is so awesome! Smart!
Happy New Year to you - it has been so wonderful getting to see your work each week. I wish you peace and many great adventures in art in the new year!

Loni Edwards said...

Hi Ginger! Happy New Year! What a great, informative post. I've been researching different ways of doing a dummy. This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing! Love the CD Pdf idea too.

Madonna Davidoff said...

Very informative and helpful post. Happy New Year Ginger!

Andrew Finnie said...

Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated