Friday, February 6, 2009

TWO Reviews



I have been fortunate enough to work with Brettell Hone on a beautiful book about African animals that might otherwise go unnoticed. The result is MY AFRICAN BEDTIME RHYMES, and I am pleased to share these two reviews and a few images from the book.


The following book review was published in the STAR a South African newspaper. The publisher, SHAMWARI publishing, is located in South Africa and that is where the author has lived most of his life.

My African Bedtime Rhymes
by Brettell Hone & Ginger Nielson
Shamwari Publishing



Don't forget the children! If, like many parents in these difficult times, you're cutting down on presents for yourselves, remember that the next generation can be educated and entertained at the same time.

Marvellous illustrations complement the intriguing rhymes, the latter having a depth to them that will bring inquiry from the little ones and a smile of recognition from adults.

Read Krish the Fish and Guy the Sly Fly, and you'll pick up all sorts of bonus lessons on fate, on health, on perceptions of beauty, and on survival.

Other rhymed stories are Mvu the Hippo, Orlando the Wood Owl and Kwena the Crocodile, each of them adding an extra dimension to our multicultural world.



And then there is this one from the United Kingdom.
Gazelle Book Services Limited.
White Cross Mills, Hightown, LANCASTER LA1 4XS, United Kingdom.
Telephone: +44(0)1524 68765
Fax: +44(0)1524 63232
Email: sales@gazellebooks.co.uk
Web: www.gazellebooks.co.uk

MULTICULTURAL & BLACK STUDIES
FORTHCOMING TITLES

MY AFRICAN BEDTIME RHYMES [Brettell Hone] My African Bedtime Rhymes is a collection of entertaining African animal rhymes, beautifully illustrated by well-known children's book illustrator, Ginger Nielson. The rhymes are designed to introduce a selection of familiar and less familiar African creatures to children by enriching the descriptions of the animal's habitats and typical behaviour in a manner that is both educational and enchanting. The language of the rhymes is deliberately challenging and should encourage the enhancement of vocabulary in the children while at the same time, entertaining parents or grand-parents.



When people order the book and aren't nearby for me to sign a copy, I can send this bookplate which I will sign for the person to whom the book is being given. This isn't my original idea, it belongs to SHERRY ROGERS, and I thank her for the idea!

3 comments:

trowbridge chronicles said...

Congratulations on your glowing reviews, Ginger. I'm thrilled for you. It makes all the hours that go into such a project worth the effort.

By the way, thanks so much for the Kreative Blogger Award. I'm a bit delayed in getting it posted and responding because Jacquie and I have to figure out how to get the Kreative Blogger logo onto my blog. It's very frustrating not knowing some of the basic things that others take for granted, but I'm slowly learning. I'm glad that I can at least paint in Photoshop.

valerie walsh said...

This is awesome!!!

BLUEANGLER said...

Congratulations! Those animal illustrations have it's own personality! I love them all! : ) Great work!