Friday, January 5, 2007

ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY ~ BUZZ ----- NOT the 80s

I apologize if your Illustration Friday link led you here.... you should be going
  • HERE



  • Although it can look like a humming bird and it is often mistaken for a bumblebee, the Snowberry Clearwing (Hemaris diffinis)
    is really a moth. It lives most of its life as a horn tailed caterpillar and then creates an ugly looking brown pupa from which it hatches as the Snowberry Clearwing also known as the Humming Bird Moth.
    I found one in my garden one afternoon as it tried to land on the flowers printed on my sister's skirt. It creates a fearsome buzz and I would expect that can keep most predators far enough away for it to take its time in any garden.
  • ©GINGER PIXELS
  • 17 comments:

    Zórdís said...

    Just perfect. Always so nice to look at your illo´s ... Nice work.

    valerie walsh said...

    Wow! I love the way you included so much in one picture Ginger! Really beautiiful, I love it!

    Unknown said...

    Stunning!!

    Liz Jones said...

    Oh, I *love* clearwings!
    Great idea!!!

    Teri said...

    Wowee, gorgeous colors and such a neat illo!

    isay said...

    i like caterpillar! i hope i can see one like them in the future. Lovely illustration-NIce to see the mountain in the background.

    Amy C. Moreno said...

    Ginger,
    It's wonderful. Interesting info about the moths too. I never knew there was a moth like that.

    claudine hellmuth said...

    beautiful!!!

    pati said...

    It's a beautiful illo, Ginger. Very sweet and appealling.

    Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

    Very nice work!

    doodlegirl said...

    I love your painting. It's so imaginative. I love your story that goes with it as well. I had never heard of the snowberry clearwing. And I love how they have that fearsome buzz to scare predators so they can spend time in the garden.

    you always do such wonderful work.

    Doug said...

    I think we had some of those things around a window flower box last summer. They were scary!

    Nice job!

    Michelle Lana said...

    very sweet!

    Julia Kelly said...

    What a wonderful picture- especially the view of the valley and town from moth's perspective! Very, very nice!!

    Unknown said...

    gorgeous...it was a bonus that i just learned something!!! thanks, i did not know that before today!

    Cez said...

    great Ginger!!! it's a fresh dream

    jordan said...

    such vibrant colors. it makes me feel happy.