Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Dragon paintings Exhibit

CBIG DRAGONS & MAGIC Exhibit
Art inspired by the books THE RELUCTANT DRAGON and THE MAGIC CITY
At the Jefferson Market Library, 425 Avenue of the Americas in Manhattan.

DATE: Sept. 7- Oct. 29, 2010




This is the process I used for the painting I am showing at the NYC Public Library at the Jefferson Market Library.
If you have never seen this building I urge you to take a look at images or if you are in the area to visit.  The exhibit will be available on the dates above and is being done with a storytime for children.  Most or all of the paintings may be for sale after the exhibit.


I started with a sketch ...
But I felt the dragon needed a friend ... a rider ... one who could follow the directions for actually riding a dragon.
So I painted Mr. Dragon and then photographed him and transferred the photo to my computer so I could add a reasonably sized child.



After I did this I traced the image of the child onto tracing paper, enlarged it and transferred the image to the actual painting.  I needed to block out all the dragon, so I overpainted with heavy white acrylic and let that dry before finishing the child.






And finally after the drying and the framing, this is what the result is:



Each of the 18 artists who are exhibiting also created color pages for the children and some  printouts of the actual illustration for use during the storytime and follow up activities.



On the back of the painting I attached an instruction sheet for 
How to ride a dragon ~ 101.
Helpful tips for managing that first flight  are included.


5 comments:

Beth Reinke said...

Ginger, I really enjoyed seeing how you create a painting. And it was extra special to see YOU in the photos. :o)

What a honor to have your work displayed in the NYC Public Library. Congratulations!

theartofpuro said...

What a great post!Love the illustration and how you did it!
Have a great exhibition!:)

Ginger*:) said...

Thanks Beth, I owe the opportunity to the hard working team at CBIG based in New York City. Diana Delosh and Donna Miskend have worked very hard to help make this possible. The Jefferson Market (http://www.nypl.org/locations/jefferson-market ) branch is a timeless building with fantastic architecture. I hope to be able to visit in the future. 18 of our CBIG members will be showing their paintings at the event.

Roberta said...

Congrats on the show Ginger! I love seeing the process!

Jehanne's doodles said...

Oh this is lovely. Great instructions :) Good luck with the show. I am sure the kids will love the colouring page.