Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Beary Funny thing Happened...

As I was finishing a slide show, our neighbor began leaning on our doorbell....I thought the house was on fire.... but No. She came with camera in hand to tell us that there was a huge bear in our front yard.

I grabbed my camera and called the police just in case, as he was heading for our neighbor's back door. He settled for her bird feeder instead and after wandering around for about a half an hour he headed back into the woods. I have to say, he or she was so beautiful. The Police said they are usually afraid of humans, but since he was at someone's back door they responded and kept an eye on him until he wandered away. Lessons to be learned... no bird feeders once the snow is off the ground. Make a lot of noise if you walk in the woods... (I don't plan to anytime soon.) Always have film in your camera or a fresh disk in your digital.

Here he is wandering in our back yard....
And grabbing the neighbor's bird feeder... he just sat right down and devoured all that was inside.
And finally heading home.

8 comments:

Amy C. Moreno said...

Oh my GOSH!!!!! He is HUGE!!!!!!
I can't even imagine...makes ya think twice about going out the back door I imagine.
It's such fun to see the pics. yikes.

roz said...

Oh WOWEE!!!
Isn't he gorgeous. So glad you found your camera in time.
=o))
Thanks for sharing.

Julia Kelly said...

Ginger- he is soooo cute and fuzzy! Wow! Guess it is that time of year- looking for something good to eat- have heard that this is the time they are in the worst moods too!

Anonymous said...

Bears are such neat animals. They look so warm and cudley, but they are really dangerous. Watched a show the other day on polar bears. So cool you could capture this guy. Wonderful!

Gretel said...

Oh. My. God. A bear. A bear. I can't get my head round it - the biggest wild creatures over here are deer. Crumbs, if I came across one of those in our woods...adn you took photos. Awesome.

Ginger*:) said...

Yes, he was or she was truly beautiful. But now all the bird feeders are down, no more feeding until after November up here. He was spotted the same day on the other side of this forest which is about 65 acres. In the midst of all this forest is the access to a protected area where he might have his living space.

He is the only real life bear I have ever seen and he was huge. When he stood up on his hind legs to grab the bird feeder next door I think he must have been about 6 feet tall. But still really really beautiful.

Paige Keiser said...

Oh my goodness!!! That's the neatest thing I've ever seen! I wish I could have seen him/her. How beautiful:0)

valerie walsh said...

How cool! Wish i was there to see him in person!!!