Saturday, February 27, 2010

The HEAD count


I have been working on illustrations for some books for Stemmer House Publishers in NH and for 4RV Publishers in OK.
For each assignment I had to create a number of characters of all ages. I used some reference material from my professional library and went back into my files to find "models" of children I had in standing poses just to check the "head count."
What I found was interesting. Although the reference material I used suggested a slightly larger or taller individual I think I came close enough with my style to create a chart that I can use for reference.

Of course all this changes when you have a model running, jumping, sleeping, eating, sitting, skiing, chasing, swimming, but it is still a good thing for me personally to have as a handy reference. I printed this and laminated it and keep it on my bulletin board.

I still use real people as models whenever I can, but sometimes it isn't that easy to find a model willing to sit in the lap of a huge brown bear or stand on one foot for an hour or so. *:)

8 comments:

theartofpuro said...

You did a wonderful work!

thedoodlegirl said...

oooh, I just love this! Wonderful work!

Janet O'Connor said...

What an excellent idea, Ginny. You've created your own visual reference for children's sizes.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This is so wonderfully illustrated. I think each child is special and works for the different heights as well. Job well done Ginger. I love the 9-12. Wonderful!!

Lindsey said...

What a great chart! I never thought of making my own with my own style! That's something to think about. And I love yours...they look pretty accurate!

Susan said...

Wonderful idea Ginger, what a fantastic reference! I always count heads whenever I do kids, but never had a handy-dandy chart, this is great, I'm going to borrow you're idea, hope you don't mind!

Andrew Finnie said...

Thanks for sharing this. Your in-sight is very 'insightful'!

Di said...

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing this wonderful reference! Now I just have to do my own version but I'm tacking your's to my bulletin board for now.