Friday, January 5, 2007

ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY ~ BUZZ ----- NOT the 80s

I apologize if your Illustration Friday link led you here.... you should be going
  • HERE



  • Although it can look like a humming bird and it is often mistaken for a bumblebee, the Snowberry Clearwing (Hemaris diffinis)
    is really a moth. It lives most of its life as a horn tailed caterpillar and then creates an ugly looking brown pupa from which it hatches as the Snowberry Clearwing also known as the Humming Bird Moth.
    I found one in my garden one afternoon as it tried to land on the flowers printed on my sister's skirt. It creates a fearsome buzz and I would expect that can keep most predators far enough away for it to take its time in any garden.
  • ©GINGER PIXELS
  • 20 comments:

    zordis said...

    Just perfect. Always so nice to look at your illo´s ... Nice work.

    ValGalArt said...

    Wow! I love the way you included so much in one picture Ginger! Really beautiiful, I love it!

    Alina Chau said...

    Stunning!!

    Liz Jones said...

    Oh, I *love* clearwings!
    Great idea!!!

    Teri C said...

    Wowee, gorgeous colors and such a neat illo!

    isay said...

    i like caterpillar! i hope i can see one like them in the future. Lovely illustration-NIce to see the mountain in the background.

    Amy C. Moreno said...

    Ginger,
    It's wonderful. Interesting info about the moths too. I never knew there was a moth like that.

    Sherry Rogers said...

    Wow Ginger that was great information! Thanks for sharing both the lovely illustration and the great info!

    claudine hellmuth said...

    beautiful!!!

    Pati @-;-- said...

    It's a beautiful illo, Ginger. Very sweet and appealling.

    Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

    Very nice work!

    Emila Yusof said...

    very pretty!

    doodlegirl said...

    I love your painting. It's so imaginative. I love your story that goes with it as well. I had never heard of the snowberry clearwing. And I love how they have that fearsome buzz to scare predators so they can spend time in the garden.

    you always do such wonderful work.

    Doug said...

    I think we had some of those things around a window flower box last summer. They were scary!

    Nice job!

    Michelle Lana said...

    very sweet!

    cocos said...

    Super job! Love the color and energy in your rendering.

    Julia Kelly said...

    What a wonderful picture- especially the view of the valley and town from moth's perspective! Very, very nice!!

    platinum blonde said...

    gorgeous...it was a bonus that i just learned something!!! thanks, i did not know that before today!

    Cez said...

    great Ginger!!! it's a fresh dream

    jordan said...

    such vibrant colors. it makes me feel happy.